Thread: Possible RSD
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 07:18 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb3343 View Post
I broke my 3 and 4 metatarsals in my foot about 9 weeks about. In the past two weeks my foot has been turning bright purple and getting really cold randomly and this has never happened before. I visited the doctor today and he diagnosed me with possible Raynaud's phenomenon. He also said there is a good chance i have rheumatoid arthristis (this is the third doctor to suggest this due to chronic ankle and back pain and i am currently waiting for test results) as this is a symptom. Anyone else have this same condition and would offer some advice or experiences??

Thanks,
Marie
Hi Marie,

Sorry about your broken foot. Rheumatoid arthritis is a fairly straight forward to diagnosis and is easily solved with a few lab tests. Some of the varients (connective tissue disorders, seronegative arthropathies) are a little more obscure. Raynaud's phenomenon involves vasospams of some of the smaller arterioles and short of just keeping your foot warm and at the extreme, barbiturates (unpleasant side effects), not much you can do. No real good definative way to diagnose, either. Normally when present, it looks like you dipped your foot into a can of paint; it can be either red, white or blue. Very weird. Of course CRPS could be on the list of differentials.

You can have your PCP perform some screening labs, usually it is something like a sed rate, RA factor, CBC and CRP. You can throw in ANA or HLAB-27 for some varients but everyone has thier own twist towards what they like to order so your doc will choose. If anything comes back positive, get a referal to a rheumatologist! If CRPS is a reasonable consideration get on it fast with a referal to pain management; the quicker you start on treatment (sympathetic blocks, etc.), the more favorable the outcome.
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote