View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 07:48 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Lumbar Disk Herniation

I am a 49 year-old male who has been fit and in good health my whole life. I was working out 5-6 days a week and leading a normal, active life. 10 years ago, I had an MRI of my spine showing a slight herniation (2-3mm) in 1 disk in my lumbar and several other disk bulges. Besides occasional back pain which I was able to live with, I felt it had not impinged on my life, though I did occasionally go to a chiropractor to alleviate occasional low-back pain.

5 weeks ago I was simply horsing around playing basketball with my 10 year-old niece and I suddenly felt something happen in my left, lower back (like something popped or ripped or tore in one specific spot). I was able to continue and even worked out a couple hours later (though the dull pain persisted). By that night, I was unable to stand up. Went to the ER, they did an MRI and it showed I had 2 herniated disks (L1-2 & L4-5) that were 5mm protrusions + 4 other disk bulges on the other disks. I have occasional burning/tingling/numbness down the left leg into the foot, but it is not consistent.

I have already been to one Neurosurgeon, as well as a Chiropractor, Physiatrist, and Physical Therapist. The neurosurgeon prescribed 12 weeks of PT which I started 2 weeks ago, but I don't know how this is going to make my disks herniations go away. The surgeon said if PT doesn't work, then there is an epidural, then finally surgery. The chiropractor seemed more optmistic that he can make the herniations go away through pilates, deep-tissue massage, laser heat, and accupuncture. I had the first session a week ago and felt good when I left, but then the next 3 days had intense burning sensation down my left leg and foot. My physical therapist said he should have never done deep-tissue massage near the herniations. I won't be going back to that chiro!

I am really scared that I will never be the same and be able to do things I once did or live a normal life. In fact, because I also have disk degeneration, I fear that eventually that all my disks will give me trouble (in 5-10 years). It seems there are so many contradictory answers and opinions and false hope out there and it's difficult to wade through all of it, especially since surgery seems like it could never truly fix the problem and very possibly, make it worse and irreparable. I wanted to know if anyone on this forum has ever recovered from multi-disk herniations that are 5mm without surgery, and if you feel there is something you might be able to recommend?

Thank you very much.
PainBecomesMe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote