View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 10:51 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Embrace Grace,

It took me a long time to accept my reality too. My world slowly fell apart, and I fought with all of my might to keep up, but I couldn't do it. My TBI occurred in 3/07, one year after temporal lobe re-section for epilepsy. the TBI exaggerated the effects of surgery.

Less than one year ago, I finally began accepting my disability. My hub and I had split up a year before. I had to stop working as a CNA, because I just couldn't keep up. No matter if I had a light load, shorter hours, less days/week, nothing helped me make it through. It took about 6 months before I realized that I wouldn't be able to go back to being a CNA. It requires more than I can give. Memory, multi-tasking, focus, concentration, and more memory. LOL! It was very hard for me to let go of being in that environment ~ helping others. I've always wanted to help others!

Then, a couple of weeks ago, my assistant mentioned volunteering a couple of hours per week to visit the elderly. Some live in nursing homes, but most don't and they require some attention & care in their lives to keep them motivated to live. It sounded okay, but a little scary. I sure didn't want to have problem after problem again. Last week, I went in to talk with the organizer and was upfront about my brain injury. I briefly explained my difficulty remembering names (people, places, things) and organzination. She accepted it well, and said that I could still be an asset. I went to visit an older woman for an hour. We chatted about things happening in her life, needs, likes and dislikes. It was nice ~ and reminded me of my favorite part of being a CNA a year ago. An hour per week, I can commit to that.

I still have my other responsibilities that can be a bit much for me to handle. Yes, I am disabled. I have shortened limits. But I can still volunteer some of my time and be appreciated by others. That boosts my self-esteem.

Others have given you lots of legal info, so I won't bore you too much. Hope that this experience makes you a little more hopeful for your personal future. Best wishes to you!

Shez

Last edited by shezbut; 04-26-2010 at 10:55 AM. Reason: .,.,.
shezbut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
finz (04-26-2010)