View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 03:05 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wink

Hello, Mite:

Welcome to NeuroTalk. I understand your dilemma quite well.
In my case my hand problems started when I was about 30, and after many years of suffering, it was found to be due to low thyroid functions.

Now you are a male, and less likely to have thyroid issues, but today, with the pollutants in our environment, males are showing up hypo more often now. So did you have a good thyroid screening with all your tests? Sometimes doctors don't do them on young males. Do you have relatives with thyroid issues?
Low thyroid results in a tissue deposit along nerves and tendons, and this compresses the carpal tunnel.

Your question about vitamins is valid. Get a B12 done, and make sure the numbers are over 400. Don't accept test results as "normal", as lab ranges in US are antiquated. Also get a Vit D done, since you are not outside as much now as you were, you might be low in this as well. Both blood tests can be done at the same time. About 1/2 of US is low in D...and you want a result of at least 50ng/ml.

Stay away from MSG (monosodium glutamate) in processed foods and restaurants. This can cause tingling of the extremities and fluid retention. Also avoid high salt. If you notice this is worse after drinking alcohol the night before, you are going to have to cut back on that. Chronic drinking can cause fluid retention in the hands.
Depending on your test results, those two vitamins I mentioned, we can discuss dosing. But for now you can take a B-50mg complex to start things off. The B-50 will have thiamine in it and help with the alcohol metabolism, if you are having some of that.

I did not see men often with carpal tunnel. Men are just not that subject to it. But they do get it. Women have it more often, and the monthly changes with fluid retention seem to aggravate it more, when repetitive strain is present. You know weight lifters wear wrist support braces when lifting, so as not to pop a tendon, or pull one resulting in inflammation. You might find the standard wrist splints for carpal tunnel (available in many pharmacies etc) good to try at night. When mine was bad I wore them every night and they took the compressive pressure off the nerves/tendons in my hands.

That stiff pulling feeling, might improve with using a rub like Biofreeze. (or Perform which is the same formula, if you can't find Biofreeze). Biofreeze is sold now online and more available.
I rub it into my hands after gardening, because sometimes my wrists flare up from digging with a trowel. But typing doesn't bother them much. I avoided surgery, by living conservatively, and getting my thyroid fixed, and guarding my hands, from lifting heavy stuff.

You are welcome to visit our PN forum here and TOS...where lots of people share stories and things they have done to reduce discomfort.

This is PN:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum20.html
I have a B12 thread at the top of the page there.
Jo already gave you the TOS link.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (04-27-2010), tamiloo (04-26-2010)