View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010, 04:48 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Ribbon Trust yourself!!

Hey Michelle,

The results you describe indicate a fairly significant Chiari herniation. I had a 10mm (1.0 cm herniation) and was suffering daily. I had cranial decompression and most of my symptoms were relieved for about 5 yrs. I did have scar tissue buildup from so many yrs undiagnosed that I believe is causing residual symptoms sometimes.

My best advice to you is to trust your own instincts.

Spend some time daily with a calendar or a journal and track your symptoms. I found that any symptoms I did or do still have are exacerbated by my menstrual cycle or illness or lack of sleep, etc.

I saw 3 different drs before I was comfortable with the neurosurgeon who treated me. 1 told me it was a "stress disorder" (HA- of course i felt stressed, my brain was squeezing into my spinal canal). The next one who by the way is a revered neurosurgeon in the area, told me "Yes, you do have a Chiari but I don't believe your symptoms are that severe". I asked if he had ever had the sensation that his eye could blow out of his head at any moment? He said he would prefer to see me again in 3 months. I fired him too.

My 3 doc was very gentle and patient but still waited 6 mos or so before surgery to see if I continued to herniate. I went from an 8 to a 10 mm then he agreed to surgery.

Sorry for the length but I just wanted you to know that you have to be strong and believe in yourself. Only you know how you feel and you have be detailed and persistent to get the care that you need. It is always great to take someone with you who can also advocate for you.

Good luck and I'm here if you have questions.
chiarichic
chiarichic is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote