View Single Post
Old 01-30-2007, 01:53 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default To Mrs. Doubtfire.

Boy, what would I do without you. You are one thorough cookie!!!

I just got off the phone with the doctor who will perform Alan's lumbar puncture. He's a neuro-radiologist named Dr. Mirchandani. Very very nice and said to me "I gather you have some questions you'd like to ask me".

I said "well, let's start with what meds does he stop taking?" And he went on to explain, no plavix no aspirin from Feb 2 till the spinal tap. I know about the blood thinning so he didn't have to go into that.

He explained that you find all sorts of goings on in the body from the spinal fluid. He took me through the whole procedure right through the recovery. I can be with him in recovery so that's good. The thing is he must be quiet and lie flat for at least two hours. He asked me if, when we leave to go home, can he lie flat and I said "No, we take the access-a-ride bus and he has to sit up" so he said "okay, we'll give him another hour in recovery so he'll be fine to go home. He said, "the funny thing about lumbar punctures is sometimes you get a headache the next day." He has had two lumbar puntures so he knows.

He was very nice and answered all my queries. So we have to be there by 9:45a.m. and will be picked up by 2 p.m. By then Alan will have rested enough to go home. I've cancelled his appointments for a few days after so he can relax. Knowing him he'll want to go and lift weights.

I then asked the doctor if I could ask him a question about the 3 hour glucose tolerance test reading of 38 in the last reading. I mentioned the insulinoma tumor and he said "I know all about those things but you have to have other symtoms to go along with a low reading. For example, a person would eat a nice meal and then take his sugar reading and it would be about 10. That would be a better indicator. Also, there are sweats and many low sugar readings. Alan doesn't have that so don't worry".

So I can relax a bit for now.

Let's just get this spinal tap over with and see what comes up.

So I shall, as always update.

Imagine, Alan goes to the gym, and I spend all day talking to neurology departments, spinal tap departments, Dr. Fred. Boy does my husband owe me breakfast tomorrow morning or what???

Melody
P.S. thanks Mrs. D.
So we are all set for February 5th.

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote