View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 10:27 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Strange Direct Deposit

Through the grace of God and a long stretch of time, I was finally awarded my SSDI benefits, received my back pay and started getting my monthly payments. On April 22, 2010, a strange deposit showed up in my account from SSA for $5917.00. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what it was, because I had already received everything I was supposed to get.

I finally called SSA today, and after a while of searching, I was told it was back pay I should have received. I told them I had already received all of my back pay, which was a substantial amount, and was correctly deposited into my account already. Finally, they found out that it was money my attorney had returned. I told them that could not be correct, because I owed my attoryney $6000, which was paid by SSA out of my back pay. They said yes, that the $6000 had been paid to the attorney, minus an $83 dollar user fee, so the amount was $5917.00, and it was returned to SSA, and subsequently returned to me.

Has anyone else ever had their attorney return money? I am assuming it is a mistake on the part of the attorney's office and that I will need to pay them soon, or the money will be automatically deducted from my account when they realize the mistake and contact SSA for their money. I plan to call the attorney to straighten this out, but I just wondered if this had happened to anyone else.
dollymom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote