View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 02:10 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

My first question to this is: How did the child behave when you & the boyfriend spent time together before buying this house & moving in together? I would think the way the child behaved before this would have showed you what it was going to be like when living with them. There is nothing out there any where that is going to help pain, whether taking it orally or applying it, when said pain is aggravated by loudness & vibrations caused by an 8 yr old child or by anything. BTW, how did this child behave before you went into this situation of moving in? Was he this inconsiderate & rude before??

2nd question: Why are you letting a child holler, & run & stomp in the house anyway? That is NOT inside behavior that is acceptable to me, or any adult that I know at any time, especially from a child who is 8 yrs old. It sounds to me as if this child needs to learn some manners & it is at home where he learns them & acceptable behavior when indoors or outdoors. Running, stomping & hollering is only acceptable behavior for out door play. I have 3 grandsons ages 8, 7 & 4 yrs old & there is not a one of them that is allowed to run, stomp or yell in our home & I don't see them behave that way in their home either. And it is fair to limit what a child can & can not do. How else does a child learn?? We have to teach them. If we don't they all grow up to be spoiled rotten brats..........and always expect everything to go their way.

It is time to have a talk with the father about what is acceptable & what is NOT acceptable behavior in your home, indoors & outdoors both. Also what you can & can not stand as far as what aggravates your pain. This conversation should have taken place prior to buying a house & moving in together, but since it didn't now is not too late. He knew about your pain obviously before you both decided to buy a house & move in together. So I am assuming he wants you to also be happy & comfortable in your own home also. So talk about this with him. Who are the adults here?? Who is setting this childs limits & boundaries? Now is the time to do that since it hasn't been done before this. All kids will fight these boundaries & limits but they all need them irregardless. They will respect you more in the long run than if you just let them run wild. It doesn't sound like this 8 yr old has been taught what his boundaries & limits are let alone many manners, what you will allow & not allow in his behavior & what is expected of him. If you give in to his wants, his wants being to run & stomp & holler all he wants indoors, then you in in for alot of trouble in just a few short years. He is testing YOU & DAD to see how far he can push you both. But especially how far he can push YOU!! And it makes no difference whether he is there to visit or lives with you most of the time. NOW is the time to step up & be a mother figure to him & take control of the situation. I again am assuming that the father lets you discipline this child?? If not, again you are in for a boat load of problems in the future. You both need to agree what his discipline will be if he 'forgets' & keeps running, stomping & shouting & generally misbehaving in the house. The discipline needs to be something you both can live with or it won't work either. Also now would be a good time to start this child on few simple chores each day or week if this has not been started already. He obviously has too much time on his hands if he is misbehaving.

I wish you good luck with this. And I may have come across a bit harshly but this is your life also & it sounds as if you are at a loss as to what to do. Again good luck.

DebbyV

Last edited by Debby; 04-28-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Debby is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote