View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 04:53 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Kathie, I'm having a super bad day so if I sound a little harsh it's because my mind can't handle any more BS today.

When you are on Pred or any other immunosuppressants, they make MG "go away" on the EMG's. I've known a few people who have had SFEMG's done while on and off of Pred and they are always negative while on and positive while off. And everything I've read, especially from the guy who invented the SFEMG - Erik Stalberg - says that while on MG drugs, the SFEMG will look normal. There's even a section in one of his books that shows the dramatic improvement of a SFEMG after one dose of Mestinon (60 mg).

http://books.google.com/books?id=3cz...0SFEMG&f=false

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...OsE9x8tx17TfRQ

So, please be on the lookout for worsening of those symptoms you say you're having. Sure, it could be from the Pred but what if it's not?

I'm not a doctor but I am at least logical. And it's not logical for a doctor to say "Okay, I did a test while you were on drugs to make your disease disappear and, therefore, you only have ocular MG." Do you know how few people have "only" ocular MG?

Try to write down when the twitching occurs. Is it at the end of the day? After reading? After being on the computer? Twitching is not usually any kind of "warning" sign but you obviously want to know why it's happening. So maybe keep track of when it happens and see if you notice a pattern.

Do you have any signs of a sinus infection? That can cause problems too. Or, do you have seasonal allergies?

About the bad eye/eye working overtime. Some people have a dominant droopy eyelid. Mine is my right. As I sit here right now, the left one is down and the right is up. They can go back and forth like that. It's normal. If you lift up on the one that is drooping, the other one will go up and they can go back and forth like that. Neuros call that "enhanced ptosis." Perfectly normal for MG. And they are BOTH working overtime because they are both relying on weak muscles to focus your eyes!

Anyway, that's my rant for the day. I hope you get some relief from it soon.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote