View Single Post
Old 04-29-2010, 10:29 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hey zach-

I am also fairly new to the forum. I found this place about three weeks ago, and it has seriously been the best thing that has happened to me since I had my concussion. It's been so theraputic to talk to other people who are going through the same thing- and NO you're not crazy! There are actually other people out there going through exactly what you are!

I'm a senior in college and have had to deal with going to school and my symptoms. I got my concussion last october and sporadically missed school through out the semester. I took winter break as a time to come home and be on complete and total cognitive rest (basically being a vegetable). I returned back to school with some improvement but not enough. I didn't even think about what my options were, I just assumed that I had to return to school and deal.

After meeting with my coaches (i'm on the lacrosse team here) a 2 months into the semester they reprimended me for not doing "everything I could" to get better- ie, school. Truthfully, I didn't even think taking time off was a possibility- the thought never even crossed my mind! I'm a college student right? Why would it be okay for me to take off school?

Well, I ended up meeting with my professors, taking some more time off, going home for a week and I ended up taking two incompletes (I was taking five classes this semester).

My point is, taking time of from school may be the best thing for you. You can't go more than two classes a day- and highschool is almost 7 hours of straight learning! My advice to you would be to- as someone mentioned before- get your parents to read this forum, let them read the many stories/valuable advice and gain the knowledge they'll need to help you through this process. Also, seriously consider taking some time off from school- try and work something out with the administrators and your teachers.

As far as the lack of exercising, that has been probably the hardest part for me. But I will warn you- my stupidity and itch to return to play landed me where I am right now. I told my athletic trainer I was completely fine after three weeks of rest, even though I knew I wasn't, and ended up running into a metal pole. If I could only turn back time.... :-/

So anyways, my best of luck to you Zach. Hang in there.
erica21 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote