View Single Post
Old 05-01-2010, 12:23 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Wisdon teeth out after RSD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah1234 View Post
Has anybody had their wisdom teeth out with rsd?? I have it in my right side of my body, and my wisdom teeth need to come out... Thanks

Hannah
Hannah - I have great empathy, because any dental procedure is more stressful in an RSD patient because of the issues the article suggests. But the topic of wisdom teeth and RSD is especially interesting, because a few years ago, the NIH was seeking patients for a research study involving the hypothesis that painful and traumatic wisdom teeth extractions had preceded the onset of RSD. Isn't that curious? There have been one or two excellent articles in the RSD Association newsletter written by dentists about special considerations for RSD patients. You can contact the office of the RSD Association to get copies of those articles. I have provided them to my dentist and he implemented their suggestions such as more pain medication during and after any procedures. There is also recent research suggesting that the removal of wisdom teeth in adults has more risk than benefits and should no longer be done in most patients (I recall an article in the L.A. Times within the last 2 years). So my first recommendation is to make certain that your wisdom teeth need to be removed. Get a second opinion if needed. Secondly, seek out only the top oral surgeon to perform your surgery. There is a tremendous difference in quality between oral surgeons when it comes to wisdom teeth. Thirdly, make sure you have a consult before hand to discuss your RSD and the additional steps the oral surgeon needs to take both during the surgeon and in your follow-up care to manage your pain. Take your time to make an informed decision. Know that you have lots of people like me who care about you. If I sound passionate about this, it's because I ended up as the case study for the combined schools of UCLA Dentistry & Medicine after a botched wisdom tooth extraction done by an oral surgeon someplace who was supposed to have been excellent. Believe me, being their case study means lots of dentists and doctors are fussing over you because something is terribly wrong For you, everything will be great because you can benefit from all our experience. Best of luck to you!
Skooz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
hannah1234 (05-01-2010)