View Single Post
Old 05-01-2010, 02:28 AM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady View Post
Debbie said, limit your salt to less than 2000 mg a day, not the steroids. She is not getting that much in the oral form.

As for salt, I would limit my salt to less than the 2000 mg a day. Bacon and a bagel is even over that amount. That is a normal diet amount 2000 mg of salt.

Too much salt, with any steroids and your Potassium goes way down. They must be equal. Eat a banana, yogurt, baked potato, etc., to up your Potassium. Talk to your doctor and have blood drawn before and after steroids.

Eddie,
Milli is a prefix meaning a thousand, which means that one milligram is one thousandth of a gram.

Therefore, there are 1,000 mg in a gram. Your answer, 1 gram of IVSM = 1000 milligrams of prednisone.

But their make-up is different. So it is not the same drug. IVSM is methylprednisolone sodium succinate, not Prednisone.
I started to reconsider taking the oral steroids and wanting the IVSM. The stress and the absolute discomfort (discomfort as a word doesnt cover this. I dont think I can adequately describe how hideous this is without a lot of swearing)

I called the neuro's emergency number tonight to ask about a few things. He said I'd have to wait till monday for the IVSM, and that I should relax over the weekend and think about it. I might feel better monday and change my mind about it.

I was so stressed out about it that I was having a bit of a panic attack. That's got to be what it was because I was a lot hysterical, crying...I think I scared the gatekeeper at the emergency number who sends on the messages.

The on-call neuro asked me if I had anything for anxiety. I said yes. He said to take some. That helped a lot. Some of the numbness calmed down. (stress does really seem to affect things)

I discovered that neurontin is helping my left hand numbness that I've had since last fall. (finally! didnt do a thing for me last fall)

I was also reminded by my boyfriend that I had a back pain the other night when he was here visiting. (trying to not give TMI, but he's a heavy guy, I made him move because my back had been hurting all day, and it spiked a bit that night at one point)

I had a back injury in 1999 that makes my back hurt in that area and I know I might have some sort of disc problem there..if I'm right the numbness might be coming from the same area.

I did a lot of walking on sunday with my boyfriend and his dad. Towards the end of the night, my back was hurting in that area. I dont know if hurting myself the other day might have caused this.

I need to ask my neuro about it on monday. Maybe I'll try the steroids first, and if that doesnt help, then I'll ask them to look at my back and see if there's a physical problem back there bugging me.

not sure how I did this, but every paragraph I typed above this looks like it's just a couple of sentences, they almost all start with the letter "I". weird. Maybe I took too much Ativan a few hours ago when I was freaking out? I feel like I'm writing while under the influence. (I'm sensitive to medications)

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lady (05-01-2010)