View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010, 11:20 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I think that's it too

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindylanka View Post
Hi Ron,

I know you are a great proponent of curcumin, and rightly so. I DO think it has promise, but I also think that it is right that the way data, ALL data, is taken and scrutinized, not just accepted because our world will take anything and everything and make claims for it in order to create an expensive market.

The links you have posted offer a good start point for scrutiny so that individually we can make some sense of things - thank you so much for adding them. It makes it a good discussion!

The way this thread came about, and Girija's clarification of the issue show how easy it is for distortions in understanding to appear, and one of my reasons for posting in the way I have is that there is a certain 'exoticising' aspect to supplements and alternative therapies, in a way as a result of the lack of transparency and ethics in allopathic treatments. Exotic supplement good, pharmaceutical bad. Woolly thinking....

Curcumin deserves to be studied deeper, and while that is happening, at least it has been trialed by many people for a very long time! It is the figures and justifications that I worry about......

Given it's antiseptic qualities I have wondered whether the neuro-protection it is claimed it offers might come from it acting on the causes of inflammation that Rick discusses. I have certainly heard of it being used in rural situations as a wash for use on the umbilical stump on the navel of newborns, on nose and ear piercings, as well as on other wounds in dressings, and of thread boiled in water to which turmeric has been added being used as emergency sutures. In all these situations as a normal and effective procedure.

Lindy
Yep, I agree with you on the anti-inflammation aspect of it, that's where I think it helps things. Perhaps also, those curry-lovin' people in other parts of the world don't inhale their food like they haven't eaten in years, as far too many people do here in the US...just go to wal-mart or sam's or costco, really anywhere, and look at the size of the behinds meandering aisle through aisle. It's no wonder we have higher incidence of PD (and everything else) when we gulp our food down practically whole, while driving a car, talking on the phone, working at a desk, etc. etc. The Italians are onto something with their "slow food" movement to counteract the ridiculous "fast food" industry that is such a huge (ha, ha!) part of our culture right now.

But the anti-inflammatory aspect of curcumin, yes, I think that is where the help comes in. Thanks for your well-thought out input on this issue, we all need to be careful of all claims, regardless of whether they concern a "natural", Rx or OTC product.
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote