View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010, 01:31 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olsen View Post
From the first posting I made on the old "braintalk" I have written that I was convinced that the Lipitor 10 mg/day my husband took for 4 yrs was directly associated with the onset of Parkinson's disease for him (and 4 other individuals with whom I was corresponding at that time). thru 23andme, we discovered **** has a genetic mutation in the SLCO1B1 gene which encodes the transport protein responsible for movement of statins (all statins) into the liver so this class of drugs could be detoxified and metabolized. Serum levels of statins are greatly increased for individuals who posess SNPs in this gene. My husband possesses 3 of the SNPs identified. No research has been undertaken to detrermine what adverse effects are associated with these SNPs other than myalgias and myopathies. No one has looked at neurodegenerative diseases associated with statin use and SLCO1B1 mutations. uptake tansporter)
and ABCG2(an efflux transporter) variant alleles and pharmacokinetics of pitavastatin in healthy volunteers Cin Pharmacol Thera 82:541-547, 2007.
It is really interesting you note this. I have sometimes suspected that my very brief fling with Paxil did not trigger or accelerate this for me. If you search any independent drug reporting database, there are hundreds who link the onset of Parkinsonian signs to taking an SSRI. Interestingly, it s more women noting and reporting this link. I think that this way to check genetic code for medicine interactions and effects will prove to be very significant in explaining many rare or orphan diseases.

Thanks for sharing!

Has anyone else used Promethease? Can anyone make sense of the 40+ PD related snips?

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote