View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010, 02:17 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Noctural Seizures? (new seizure patient)

Hi everyone. I'm new here, and relatively new to seizures. Mainly my seizures began in November of this past year although I had a few several years ago. My doctor has sent me to hospital several times this spring. EEGs, EKGs and MRI's were normal. My seizures are growing worse, in spite of medication (Dilantin 100 mg 3x daily).

These seizures occur mainly at night while I am in bed, although I've had a few at other times. Most often - when I'm fully aware of them - they occur just as I am settling down to sleep. Sometimes I am only dimly aware of them during the night, waking briefly then falling back to sleep. Occasionally they happen when I am waking up. Apparently my limbs shake a lot while I am unconscious, I make strange noises, and, on regaining consciousness I often gasp for breath.

One odd feature is that they frequently happen when I am changing position, for example rolling from my left side to my right. This morning I had a bad episode rolling over onto my back just as I was waking up. Does changing position trigger seizures for anyone else reading these boards who may have night seizures?

It's very frustrating for me right now. No one else I know personally has seizures. As I said, they are getting worse, in spite of the medication. I am in the process of being monitored by a sleep study group but my doctor seems to be at a loss as to what to do with me. I'm afraid to go to bed at night...but I'm exhausted and not getting quality sleep when I finally succumb.

Any help you may provide, I'm grateful. Thank you.
Oriana is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Brain patch (02-15-2013)