View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010, 03:08 AM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member
Default Isolation as a means of Sensory Depravation?

Has anyone else noticed themselves not only isolating themselves socially, but also preferring to reduce their environmental stimulation? Especially when your pain is flared?

My favorite time of the "day" has become late at night when the rest of the world is asleep and there is little to no sound or light. When I'm away from home and my pain begins to escalate my first objective is to get some where calm--a coffee shop, library, bookstore, even bathrooms can work.

At the height of my pain, pre strong meds, post radio frequency neurotomy, I couldn't walk into a mall due to the sensory overload. Being driven was nightmarish, still not fun for me now, but at the time I was crying over bumps in the road. I couldn't watch any television or listen to music. Wind became a new enemy, and on and on...

Ive always tried to understand why I feel less pain in the (warm) ocean than in a pool, and a few weeks ago I tried a bath with Epson Salts. I used a few pounds, and it was a similar feeling. Or should I say lack of feeling? Which is a VERY GOOD THING for me. It felt like the switch is being thrown on to low.

Has anyone undergone or heard about Restricted Environmental Stimulation Therapy (used a Sensory Deprivation tank) for RSD?

I joke about my Goldilocks method of everything having to be just so, not to cold, not to hot, etc. But, it would make sense if we reduce the sensory intake for our brains, then there are fewer opportunities to misfire?
LIT LOVE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
cindi1965 (05-07-2010), CZZ74 (05-11-2010), Kakimbo (05-03-2010)