View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010, 06:36 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Can child have absence seizures plus another type?

My son Anthony (turning 7 on Sunday) has been having what appears to be absence seizures (unresponsive staring spells) and is having an EEG on Wednesday. He had an EEG back about 3 years ago when he started seeing his neurologist, that one came back normal but was quite a long time ago. The staring spells have only been ocuring for the last month or so as far as we know. He sees a neurologist already because he has Tourette and ADHD.

Overnight last night, he had a nightmare and I let him come into bed with us. I woke up at 5:30am to him making noises... like lip smacking or swallowing, not sure now exactly. I thought maybe he was going to throw up and asked him repeatedly if he had a tummy ache. He did not answer. It went on for longer than his absence seizures/staring spells and then seemed very confused. He still wasn't talking, just making sorta grunting noises. When he started talking it was just one word type yes/no and even then didnt make sense.

Then he thought he was going to throw up for a little while afterwards but didn't and then was acting perfectly fine (from say 6:30am- about an hour after the incident). If he is having absence seizures (will find out via EEG),is it possible/common to also have a different type of seizure such as complex partial? I read that they require different medications, so doesn't seem likely that a child would have both types...?

Thanks so much for any help you can offer,

Dawn (Anthony's mom)
Hannah (8),
Anthony (7), and
Jayson (5)

Last edited by ives6797; 05-03-2010 at 07:40 PM.
ives6797 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote