View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010, 10:43 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Anything else other than Lyrica?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivanna View Post
Hi all. My husband suffers from CRPS. He was diagnosed in early 2009. He's been taking Lyrica for a little while now and unfortunately one of the side effects of blurry vision got worse and worse until the pain doc decided to lower the dosage. My husband's been taking the lower dosage of Lyrica for several weeks but the blurry vision problem hasn't really improved. He will visit the doctor end of this week.

I'm wondering if not Lyrica, what else is out there on the market that is similar to Lyrica? What could he take if he dropped Lyrica?

Thanks so much!
Unfortunately, Lyrica can have many side effects. Weight gain and high blood pressure are the two most common. Your husband's doctor will need to titrate your husband off of Lyrica while simultaneously initiating a replacement medication.

There are many other medications available for the treatment of CRPS. Most CRPS patients do not take a single medication, but take a group of medications that work together. One of these, the "gold standard", which is the term that was used to describe it by a leading CRPS researcher and one of my physicians, is oral Ketamine. It is believed to be effective because it acts on the NMDA receptors in the spine that are thought crucial in CRPS.

Other medications frequently prescribed in the group include such medications as Neurontin, Cymbalta, Effexor, Topamax, Norco, Oxy, or others in the same classes as each of these.

We CRPS patients learn to continually need to adjust our medications. The important thing is to have a doctor who reacts quickly and creatively and has expertise in CRPS.

We hope your husband's vision is restored soon!
Skooz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote