View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010, 11:48 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Question Update and medication S/E

Just to re-cap....I was diagnosed with mixed axonal and demyelinating peripheral polyneuropathy on my 50th birthday (although I was having symptoms as far back as 1996 or 14 years ago.) I was initially put on Neurontin 300 mg at bedtime. Around the first part of April 2010, I started to experience severe burning on the palms of my hands and in my fingers. This was unlike any burning I have ever experienced. Just air circulating would send me into a frenzy. I could not stand to touch anything or have anything touch my hands. I went to my GP because my neuro is 150 miles away. He gave me a "burst" of steroids, started me on Cymbalta 30mg to start and now 60mg, and increased the neurontin to 600 mg at bedtime. After about 7 days, the burning started to decrease and has eventually disappeared. I wonder.....was it the steroids, the Cymbalta or just the PN coming and going as it usually does?

Another weird thing, I have begun to have feelings like electrical shocks in my fingers and toes. Very painful for the few seconds that they last. I haven't figured out if anything exacerbates them, just know that it hurts like heck.

My main reason for posting is an unpleasant side effect, possibly from one of the meds. I am having terrible constipation as of the last month or so. I eat very well, I walk 3 miles at least 3-4 times/week and I am trying very hard to increase my fluids, especially water (yuk). Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this with Neurontin or Cymbalta?

I do have an appointment with a neuro at Cleveland Clinic on June 14th. He specializes in neuropathy so maybe he can shed some light on this "idiopathic" booger that is wreaking havoc on my (our) life. Will share what I find out after the appointment.

Until then......I want you all to know that this forum serves as a source of comfort to me. (not to mean that misery loves company, at all!!) I check in daily to see how everyone is getting along. Your words of encouragement and advice to each other warms my heart. I am fighting this as hard as I can and remind myself often that there is strength in numbers.

Last edited by kpRN; 05-05-2010 at 11:51 AM. Reason: spelling error
kpRN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (05-29-2010), MelodyL (05-05-2010)