View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010, 04:00 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for bumping the thread! *smile at everyone* I'm sorry we are all suffering similar challenges, but happy we have each other and this forum to support each other.

I also have other issues with what I think of as brain chemistry. Six years ago I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I've been bipolar practically my entire life, as I look back on it, but developed coping mechanisms and so seemed "normal" (whatever that may be) to all but family and close friends. Unfortunately - untreated - bipolar disorder can get worse over time. It did.

I understand that the frontal lobe is involved in bipolarism, as it is generally in seizure disorders.

Seizures - mainly noctural at this point - began for me late last year. Actually, I had one or two several years ago but they stopped almost as soon as they started and I thought little of them. Now in spite of medication (Dilantin) they seem to be increasing. I am aware of them at the beginning and end of sleep and sometimes during. I know I have more than I am aware of because my family has heard me making odd noises and has seen the convulsive movements. At that point they are unable to wake me. Apparently the episode needs to run its course.

I went to hospital for tests only because my brother responded to the noises and was so alarmed by the seizure the rest of the family insisted I go. Tests revealed nothing out of the ordinary with heart or brain. Now I'm having sleep studies done.

I believe the episodes are growing more frequent, mainly because I am so terribly tired. I get up for several hours and then must sleep again. I'm also having noticeable problems with short term memory loss.

I'm not sure if this is epilepsy. What seems odd about these seizures is that the ones of which I'm aware are generally preceded by my changing position in bed - for instance rolling from back to side or raising a knee up toward my body. I can't find any references to seizures related to body position.
Oriana is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote