View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Phyxius,

Don't get so down on yourself. This was beyond your control. The work-arounds and accommodations that most of us use for distraction issues are counter to your objective. I can't imaging you using ear plugs to block the background sounds.

You professor is totally ignorant of your struggles. It would be interesting if while you were signing to him, he had to also see a sign conversation going on in behind you. Maybe then he would have a better understanding.

You can no better ignore the distractions than a torn water filter can deliver finely filtered water. Your brain's filter is broken. I have been living with this symptom for ten years. I have tried all kinds of ways to overcome it. Even when I can overcome background noise, it is a haphazard skill. I can be doing great and then suddenly find my mind off on a different trail.

I do not drive because of this. I can drive safely the vast majority of the time. It is those uncontrollable times that are the risk. I never know when they are going to happen.

Take this as a great lesson about who you are now. You tried your best.

Maybe you can still find opportunities to help the hearing impaired without the translator certification. Maybe you can study some specific area of history and become a docent for a historical site or museum. Having signing skills does not mean you would be signing all day, but would be the go-to docent for the deaf groups.

BTW, My wife is training to be a Census worker and had the same problem trying to listen to a lecture. There were some talkers near her that made it all but impossible to follow the lecturer. And she does not have any distraction problems.

Stay strong.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Phyxius (05-05-2010)