View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 09:22 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Four weeks off? Not going to do much for PN improvement.

One way this happens is that the statin drug blocks the pathway to making cholesterol in the liver. That pathway also makes CoQ-10 which is a nutrient all our cells use to help the mitochondria (energy producing portion).

In order to help recover from any statin damage, taking high dose high absorbable (enhanced and expensive) Co-Q 10 is necessary. Did he advise you to do that? I betcha he didn't.

Now if you are on a statin for a LONG time some of the damage may not be repairable. We just don't know just how much mitochondria can be damaged before they die. I think Acetyl Carnitine also helps with drug/toxin damage, so you may think about that too.

About 40% of patients on metformin, develop lowered B12 levels. This is easier to fix, and less expensive. That you can do yourself. See my B12 thread for more details:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread85103.html

There are other causes of long term progressive PN.
Hereditary causes (no treatments available)
Gluten intolerance from diet... see my new thread here:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread121516.html

If you continue to eat something (or take a drug) that is bothering you, the PN remains and increases.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote