View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 11:39 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Recovery

Hi momof4,

Well just your userid explains a bit of the slow recovery!! LOL..I too have a herd of kids and a "very large brain" . That is how I explained my decompression to my younger kids.
I had a 10 mm herniation diagnosed in 11/03 and surgery in 10/04. I too felt incredibly weak and frustrated with the pace of recovery. I became very stiff and felt like my shoulders and neck were on fire with "nerve burning". My therapist (not my surgeon) put me on Neurontin (low low dose) to help with some of the pain.
The most important thing for you to remember is that you are recovering from Major Surgery. You did not just have a mole removed or your appendix taken out. Every muscle in your neck was basically severed and your skull was opened up. Then in my case the dura membrane covering the brain was opened, my cerebellar tonsils were lifted slightly, scar adhesions cut away to restore CSF flow and then a synthetic patch sewn in place to allow extra room for the brain. The back portion of my 1st vertebrae was removed and then my muscles were reattached. MAJOR STUFF!!

I picked up the O R reports from my surgery and was much more patient with myself after reading what was done while I was sleeping. I also made my family read it so they too could develop the compassion and support I needed from them.

Just be patient and don't push yourself. Maybe a pain management doc could help out with some of the pain while you recover.

I know how you are feeling and I can tell you it does get better.

Last edited by chiarichic; 05-06-2010 at 11:43 AM. Reason: add more
chiarichic is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote