View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Chemar.... SAMe is a methyl donor for neurotransmitter synthesis. Most of the time, younger patients have pretty good
homocysteine chemistry, and it is only when the people get older, that the system fails.

When people with pretty good methylation take SAMe , they just get overloaded. But you know the Pfeiffer institute has a complex explanation of when SAMe will work and when it does not. I've never quite understood that explanation, and I think it is based on their testing results.

My son initially liked SAMe, but after a couple of weeks, he just can't stand it anymore! He's tried it 3 times. Same thing happens. I've watched the depression forums at other places and have seen younger posters with the same reactions.

Even our old cat Sheba, was given SAMe by the vet ..90mg feline dose (as she is lame). And for just over a month she was doing really well, then she had a seizure! So we took her off it, too. It really perked her up tho.
So I am a bit suspect about SAMe. When it is obvious that people have a deteriorating medical problem, like brain fog, arthritis, etc, SAMe is good. But for others, it is just too stimulating many times. I took 600mg for over 10 yrs, and I finally stopped it too. My knee is now better, and I was getting tense sometimes myself. It just didn't mix well with the Vit D as I increased THAT.

So just warn your son, that if he gets too tense, neck tension, insomnia, etc...to back off. At lower doses, it may be less of an issue, but my son bottomed out at 200mg a day.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Chemar (05-07-2010)