View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010, 01:00 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Phyxius,

I think most people feel like giving up at some point, tbi or not. I hope no one means they think you shouldn't be around, coping the best you can, because you don't have a spouse or children. If they do, don't listen, they are nuts or seriously misguided! Your worth is not based on your output or ability to perform, it is inherent in you, even when you're injured and struggling.

Things change over time. Maybe you can find something more manageable, but of interest or value to you to focus on during this recovery period. Mark suggested volunteer work using your skills. I'm sure you could come up with some other great ideas. One of the hardest things for me is accepting my limitations and working within them, and I'm not dealing with challenges of the same scope as you, or many others on this forum. Even so, this isn't easy, it really stinks. Personally, I really, really hate not being able to do what I want, how and when I want. Patience is not my strong point, but I'm learning and doing better over time. Sometimes life throws us curves that change our direction and the way we look at things. It's not always a bad thing.

Vini made a great point, it may take you longer than you planned to complete college, that doesn't mean you won't do it, it may be on a different time table. That's okay, try to be realistic with where you are right now. You can re-apply to the program later. It seems to be a common theme on this forum, trying to do too much too soon, because we all want to be like we were pre-injury, then we are reminded that we aren't, and suffer setbacks and discouragement.

If we accept where we are and work with it, things are less depressing than when we try to hold ourselves to a pre-injury standard. I don't mean giving up on trying to get better, but working within the parameters your brain and body can handle right now, while you work at healing. Be nice to yourself.

I hope this ramble makes sense and that you can find a therapy horse program, that sounds incredible. Hang in there and don't give up!

Best wishes,

Becca
BeccaP is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
vini (05-08-2010)