View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010, 09:07 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Nicky, I had adrenal insufficiency once. Well twice really cause my cortisol crashed during pneumonia. My body did not handle the change in time zones when I went to Europe. Jet lag is basically cortisol getting confused! That and the stress of the trip gave me a horrid drop in cortisol. I was hot, I couldn't stop sweating, dizzy, extremely tired to the point of not being able to keep my eyes open. It was one of the worst feelings I've ever had and it took 7 days or so to recover (had blood tests to confirm). Long story short - no, don't abruptly stop that damn drug.

I'm sorry you have cataracts. My Mom has had the cataract surgery and did really well with it. How cloudy is your vision?

You should talk to your prescribing doctor (is it the neuro?) and get a plan for withdrawal. It helps to have an endocrinologist in on the discussion. There may be a way they can help make it easier. You'll need to have your cortisol tested after you are off and maybe while you are going off.

I don't want to scare you but an adrenal crisis can come on really quickly. It can literally knock you out, where you won't be "awake." It is dangerous. A friend of mine has gotten close to that a few times.

So please, be sensible, like everyone else has said. Tom's spot on about all those points too.

Another thing Pred does is to keep you from absorbing nutrients. Are you taking enough A, B's and Vit. C? I still worry about you having Celiac, you know.

Just be careful.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Nicknerd (05-08-2010)