View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010, 09:37 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Confused Coontinuing . . .

(I really can spell "continuiing," but it's those doggone dragging fingers GRRR)
BIO (Biotechnology Industry Organization) is the world's largest biotechnology organization -- with more than 1200 members worldwide. This is the third time Paula and I have attended, and we feel it is one of the best sources of networking with those actively involved with research and development.

When I say "networking," I don't mean just walking by a big pharma company's exhibit booth and picking up a business card, I mean we are right in the conversations with top researchers (and we're pretty darn good at it - right paula?) No, we're not discussing the statistical analysis of a study or its design, but we are helping them to see the patient perspective in the business (marketing) aspect of drug development (areas such as clinical trial recruitment and funding). This year there were researchers lined up to talk with us!

Like the book we are writing (by the group known as Parkinson's Creative Collective), we are not only building Parkinson's awareness, but are helping approval agencies, trial sponsors, researchers and others realize that empowerment of the patient is a wise investment. BIO understands - organize one evening social event for CEO's and patients to intermingle.

It's not the easiest thing for us to get to these meetings, usually requiring a week of recuperation after one, but it's worth every minute. (and Paula and her daughter are a lot of fun!) After all, they have told me twice that the cure would be here "in 5 more years." I'm not a rocket scientist, but we are already running a decade in arrears!
pegleg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote