View Single Post
Old 05-08-2010, 02:03 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile

The temperatures are similar here, in the 90s recently. Here is a list of what I do to stay cool.
-always wear thin 100% cotton shirts and loose clothing.

-wide brim hat when in the sun for maximum shade.

-spray bottle with me to spray on clothes and skin for cooling effect (even if the water gets hot in the spray bottle it feels cool on your skin due to evaporation - it is rarely humid here - this only works in dry air).

-drink lots of water BEFORE going out in the heat.

-keep temperatures in house/car as warm as can be tolerated to reduce shock when going outside.

-When I need to be outside during the day, I start early so I get used to the heat slowly as the temperature rises.

-Never go out into the heat in the afternoon if I have been inside all morning, too much of a shock.

-Don't drink water quickly when out in the heat (to be specific, don't gulp down an entire bottle of water at once). Instead sip water or other drink often when out in the heat. Drinking lots of water at once is shocking to the body if you are hot.

My MG seems to like the heat as long as I don't get dehydrated or shock myself with fast temperature changes.

I have more trouble going into over-air conditioned buildings than I do the hot outdoors. I get dizzy from the cold buildings. I bring a warm coat with me (you can laugh now) when the temperatures get hot this time of year, to wear when I go shopping. I have severe reactions from the shock of cold temperatures - two times I have lost my vision, everything went gray and then black and I almost fainted before I made my way out of the buildings with help. I haven't figured out how to deal with this other than wearing a coat indoors in the summer.

I hope any of this helps. If you have other ideas, let me know. Be careful.

DesertFlower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote