View Single Post
Old 05-08-2010, 06:19 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hey guys,

I feel sorta sure that the cataracts have been caused by the extremely high blood sugar I had, which started as soon as I started the prednisone.

Here's a feather in someone's hat: I foudn out that my aunt (dad's sister) has genetic hemochromatosis. It's considered the 'Scottish' disease (Scottish on both sides of family), so I'm now wondering about my arthritis which I mainly had in my index and middle fingers on both hands, and this quick acquisition of diabetes I've had. My aunt and dad both have 'iron fist,' non-alcoholic fatty liver syndrome, which my dad's mother had as well (as well as iron fist). My aunt and grandma have never drank alcohol and/or smoked...Anyway, I'm sorta rambling...I haven't been tested for this yet because I have so many problems that I'm just not ready to bring this to the table yet...My aunt has started getting phlebotomies for it...Anyway...

So I'm thinking that if I have this, that might have predisposed me to diabetes which the prednisone uncovered, and thus these cataracts...I was tested for eye pressure, and mine's normal, thank god...

I'm starting a supplement which is specifically for cataracts- antioxidants. ALso bought some liver since it contains such high levels of vitamin A...

Maurice....Doesn't it suck to have to take the prednisone again? God, I hate this crap with a passion...I never wanted to take it, but my doctor says that diabetes and osteoporosis, cataracts, and all that are good trade-offs for MG. I really disagree, though.

The pressure in my eyes is 16, not sure what 'normal' is...I've heard of some people having trouble after cataract surgery...Btw, is your vision darkening around the periphery? This is a sign of glaucoma, apparently...I don't understand what your doc. means when she says taht MG doesn't affect vision. Does she mean that it doesn;t cause blindness? I agree with that one...I can't remember if your vision is affected by MG (double vision, drooping)...I've always considered mine to not be, but I think it's just that it's mild compared to my other muscles which are affected. IOW, if only my eyes were affected, I'd be a-okay, and wouldn't consider it a disability at all, even though they ARE affected somewhat, know what I mean? It's just not even moderate...Very mild...

Someone somewhere said prednisone is like a credit card: Enjoy now, pay later. I agree, except I didn't enjoy much to begin with!

Bit bitter...Sorry if it's coming through a lot! lol

Nicky
Nicknerd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote