Thread: Just wondering?
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2007, 10:57 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default OK down the 'list'..

Dianne: did you mean 'OBJECTIVE" or Subjective? There are NO standardizations of PAIN to be found other than the 'happy faces' that truly adequately describe Pain, or different forms/types of pain anywhere. Frankly to me, 'Happy Faces' do not cut it ...AT ALL!

I believe it can be further complicated by PAIN and PAIN MEMORY...areas that were researched decades ago...BUT, I've not found any consistent set of VOCABULARY to accurately describe different types other than a non-official [tho good] scale -Mankowski Pain Scale....

As for drug seekers, those who do such have to have Testing...which we are able to achieve results that can Validate many aspects of pain and pain perception...

Julie: Hey, to me, it's the SIZE of the hands? Tell me different, someone... No GUY has ever, ever gone thru the kind of cramps that have a body pass out from the pain etc....no sympatico there whatever! Gloves or not, what about those Hairy hands? Teeny hands - definitely a requirement!

Jo: the question goes further than Patients as to the personality types...I'm trying to get at the issue of THE DEGREE of training docs receive [from what I gather only at first year training] to be able to communicate more effectively with US! I've looked and not seen any types of courses for 'improved communication' vis-a-vis post-grad docs and patients out there. Most practice management offerings are about liability and profit margin management.... The issue is more about HOW we perceive each other...communicate more efficently and effectively. Far, far more basic issues .. such as When I say [patient] X,Y, &Z Doc HEARS A, B & D...

Getting any doc's impressions about patients say, who have the same symptoms, and how one expresses the issue more effectively...thus getting treatment of the right sort...faster is my goal in all this...
I have to admit, that at times, I can and havebeen a probable doc's nightmare...but the doc's ability to REALLY continue communication and LISSEN! to my issues is what got us [together] over the humps?

Maybe, some docs putting a short term effort of their brain matter, together to put out a summary of WHAT they would like us to say, how say, and document to date the SAY could make/help those who don't have docs who listen, if only because WE are able to SAY it in terms they can hear! Relate to?

Do doc's want us to come in 'cold'? Bring past tests? Start over from essentially raw ground? WHAT? HOW do they react to such patients?

I've experienced all the categories doc-wise Jo, and at times, I almost feel I have to be a chameleon to fit in... I do not like being like that. Others can't or unable to compromise as such...Frankly I can't blame them...nor should they have to!

HARD POINT to address is: HOW can we communicate to be faster, more effective, and more efficient? I dunno about YOU, but I want my 10-15 minutes w/a doc to REALLY, really COUNT! Excess verbiage can only take up precious moments - j

Pain free moments to any and all!
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote