View Single Post
Old 05-08-2010, 07:33 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Abby,

For some MGers, Mestinon *could* be a good way to see if your muscle weakness is from MG, but not for everyone who has it. For example, mestinon seemed to do nothing for me until I a) had a thymectomy and/or b) started prednisone. The reason I'm not sure which one it is is because I had/started both at the same time. I think it's 'b' since lots of others echo the same situation. So your weakness could most definately be caused by MG while mestinon might not work for the weakness. Not sure why this is the case, but it really seems to be that way for so many of us despite the fact that some doctors probably aren't aware of that. I know that my neuro. knows taht mestinon doesn't work for all autoimmune myasthenics (not just the musk ones) unless prednisone or PLEX/IViG are added. My hematologist knew this as well, and didn't give me a weird look when I told him that my mestinon actually works since I started prednisone, while i also experienced additional weakness while on prednisone. He completely understood this perplexing situation...I dont even understand it half the time, and get confused myself, and feel like I'm crazy! lol

Let's all hope that you get an answer as to what's causing this weakness definatively...When your function's interrupted this much, it's a situation that needs full attention and much empathy. Paralysis/paresis is no laughing/flippant matter!

Take care!
Nicknerd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote