View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waves View Post
as far as medicine containers, there aren't half the contraptions here as there are in the US. my mom bought a day pouch for insulin but it doesn't stay cold enough for long. it may, possibly, save us 1 dose. for the rest, we will have to buy the medication, use it and toss it at least a couple of times. looks like there are enough pharmacies at least.
Dear Waves,

If you have time and you have a trusted pharmacist-type person check again about the requirements for keeping the medicine cold.
You are not dealing with August temperatures and you are not going to be outside the whole time (you'll be in a train, . . ).

Insulin is one of the medicines that people are told to keep refrigerated when it is not entirely true:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/diabetes/fa...section-8.html

http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-...ou-travel.html

Quote:
When you travel with insulin, give some thought to where you'll be storing your supplies. Insulin does not need to be refrigerated. But insulin stored in very hot or very cold temperatures may lose strength. Don't store your insulin in the glove compartment or trunk of your car.
I'm not going to take this off topic but when I see news stories with reporters carrying on about people who are in dire straits and without refrigeration for the meds, I want to call the show for misinforming their audience. At higher temps for looong periods, it looses strength. That's all.

(If I am totally wrong about insulin not having to be kept cold, I'm sorry. This is the info and experience I have with insulin.)

I don't know about other meds and the recommendations that go with them but it could be the same case --- no tight cooler for half a day or so of travel might not be a big deal.
And you can probably jury rig something close to a cold pack that will work close enough.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3154053AAWpis6

Put some ice in waterproof zip lock bags inside a tupperware-type container. That would work for half a day or more.
Here one could stop at a fast food restaurant and get a cup of ice to refresh the old ice. If you don't want to carry leaky ice, then put some cut up carrots in the freezer over night and then pack them. They will stay cold for several hours.

Again, if I am not being helpful then forget I said anything about this topic.

Quote:
i booked us a room at a bed and breakfast that has a fridge. it has ADSL too, but for a night, and with such murky plans and possibly having to carry our bags around a lot on foot, i don't think i'll bring the laptop.
You found a good room. I like rooms with fridges. I would not want to carry around a lap top either. You might have Internet access at a cyber cafe -type place a long the way.

Will you be seeing family members you have not seen for a long time?
I find being around family to be affirming.
(And yet, I don't travel or make arrangements to see them.)

At any rate I hope that the trip goes well and that your travel companions do well.

Here is one of my techniques for travel: I make a packing list a day or two before I leave. Then after I pack and am heading out the door I check the list. This cuts down on anxiety.
And truthfully, the only thing that needs to be packed 100% is meds. Everything else can be bought at destination and even the meds can be bought with a little hassle.

So bring your comfortable shoes and take care of yourself.
I'll be thinking of you.

Mari
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (05-09-2010), collinsc (05-09-2010), Dmom3005 (05-09-2010), waves (05-09-2010)