View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 10:57 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Just diagnosed with Small Fiber Neuropathy

My head has been spinning since I was told last week that I have SFN and I am totally confused as what to do next.

Last July I started getting weird feeling in my right arm that would come and go. Then a few weeks later I woke up with bad back pain and tingling in my arms and legs. Years earlier I had whiplash, which gave me some herniations in cervical and thoracic spine so I went to the dr to check it out. They took MRI's which showed herniations but told me they didnt think that was the issue. months go by. The back pain just started to become minor about 3 weeks ago but some the sensation sin my arms have gotten much worse. My hands feel numby(i dont know if thats a word) most of the day. i do get what i call a cool burning in arms a legs. I even feel a strange tightness in the face. I was put on immipramine and cymbalta a few months back.

I was referred about 6 weeks ago to a doctor specializing in Peripheral Neuropathy. she took some tests and set up a glucose test and an emg.
all tests turned up negative except a small issue with my ulnar nerve.
she then took a biopsy of my ankle and thigh and the result was positive for small fiber neuropathy.

SInce I'm already on the meds that were supposed to help, prescribed by a shrink I went to see as this was driving me nuts. I'm not sure who is the right person to prescribe the meds and what I should be doing next.

Since I do not have the cold/hot issues or bad pain in the feet is that normal to have sfn without that.

what other dr's should I go for. what else can i ask the nerve doctor, what other tests should i take. (i just left a message to get the complete test workups she did.) also how can i tell if the Sfn is causing the numbness and pain in the arms and not the cervical spine.

I am very sorry to ask so much,especially as it hurts to type
changejobs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote