View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 12:30 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile Betaseron - Lupus Flare?

Hello all - new to the group, and joined at the suggestion of one of my treatment friends - someone who gets IVIG the same time I do.

I have a rather aggressive case of lupus (SLE) and a moderately active case of MS. (Technically, I should probably disclose I also have Sjogren's Syndrome and fibro. Usually, though, I think it's more than plenty to tell people I have MS and lupus.)

Anyway, Copaxone didn't do much for my MS, so I've been on IVIG since Feb. '09, and that kept the MS under control, until a long-lasting exacerbation that began mid-January.

After a course of plasmapheresis in March (a longer course in November worked wonders for my lupus), my neuro decided I needed to add a mainline MS drug into the mix.

I started Betaseron later that month, but was yanked off of it last week (one shot away from finally reaching 1 ml!!), because it's the likely culprit behind a lupus flare that began recently.

Has anyone else had this reaction? I know they tell you you may feel flu-like the day after an injection; for me it made me a little lupus-y the next day. As the dose got stronger, though, the lupus never went away, even on my "off days." I've heard that interferons can provoke a lupus flare, but that Betaseron was the least likely to do so.

I'm looking to see if anyone else had the same experience, and whether you tried another interferon successfully (no lupus agitation).

Thanks!
Ms. MS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote