View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 03:39 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default CSF Leak

I have been diagnoised with , first a pituitary macroadenoma and ICHP and then a CSF leak. I have been to 2 of the most well respected university hospital systems in the state, only to have doctors disagree. I had a radioactive cisternogram (lumbar puncture and all) that came back "dramatically abnormal" which prompted a call from my neurologist to get to this surgeon at this big university hospital asap, but Do Not Fly. He made all of the arrangements and off we go. They told us to expect to stay 7 to 10 days for the surgery, spent time explaining it to us, etc. The whole family took off work, many were flying in from all over the states. My husband and I infromed our employers that we were on our way to have this surgery and that I needed about 3 weeks off for recovery and all. No problems there. We have the first appointment with an ENT who was supposed to admit me to the hospital. Let's call him Dr. I'm Smarter Than Anyone Else In The World. He took my cisternogram and said "this is garbage" these test are not any good. He then looked up my nose for a minute and said "I do see a glistening fluid, but can't tell where it's coming from". He then said he wanted to do a 10 slice CT with contrast and went on to explain that I would have an IV, etc., and that this would take about 30 minutes. Went in for the CT, no contrast, done in five minutes. I asked the tech about it and she said "Dr. I am Smarter Than Anyone In The World, didn't order contrast. Ok, whatever the smartest doctor on earth wants. We were then ushered back into his office and he said, the CT was negative. You don't have a leak. Relief right? He then sends me over to the Neurosurgeon about the pituitary issue. Now I must say, you have never met "arrogant" like this kid. He say's why are you here? I said, Dr. I am Smarter Than Anyone In The World told me I had to see you, he said "what for"? I stupidly assumed that they exchange information or something. I said well, I don't know, he's the one who sent me over here. So Dr. Arrogant calls Dr. Smater and and Dr. Smarter tells Dr. Arrogant about my pituitary tumor. So he say's, exact words..So, alll I have to say is that when Dr. Smarter repairs this leak I will snip out the tumor. I won't look at any films, I'll just take Dr. Smarter's word, we work together all the time. We are just stunned, what happened here? My husband then said, wait, we know nothing, and I now need some answers, my wife is sick and we are paying you guys alot of money to take care of her. Dr. Arrogant said, you aren't paying me anything, the University pays me. You cannot win with a physician that gets paid no matter what they do or do not do. So, we call home and tell the local physicians what happened and they sent us to a neurologist at "big university hospital" who actually called Dr. Smarter and said, "I think your wrong". Well, that did not go over very well and they argued, then a 3rd doc got in on the argument, saying this is a low pressure headache caused by a csf leak. Finally, the neurologist said, I am sending you to another university hospital and made the referral. He was not going to fight the infamous Dr. Smarter who is 2o years his junior. I still have a leak, I still have a headache, I still feel like you know what and I still have not received care.I talked to Dr. Smarter and he said, I did not see a leak on the CT with contrast and I said "you didn't do any contrast" and he actually said, YES I DID. I said I think I would know if I had and IV Doc. His nurse later called to tell me that I was correct, but the results were still the same.
The doctor I really like told me that when things like this happen that you will often get very poor medical care because doctors don't like to be wrong. So when another physician calls about history, they will not paint you in a favorable light, just FYI. To make it more interesting, I was the Marketing Director for a large hospital system. Now I know what the patients were saying to me when they said they didn't think their doctors were listening to them THEY WERN'T. I have actually been involved in conversations with physicians about patients that they were treating. Terribly unfair in retrospect, wish I would have know then what I know now.I remember one lady came to the ER with chest pains and the doctor called her a frequent flyer in need of a case of Prozac (long time ago) and discharged her, she died on way to her car of a massive heart attack. I am just saying to all, you are in charge of your health care. Do not be afraid to fight the fight it takes to get yourself well. I am not an aggressive or abrasive person and have been very meek to this point, but now I will fight, I want my life back.. Anyone else had a similiar experience?
doctorslie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote