View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 08:20 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Debilitating Pain for 11 years, may have TOS???

I'm new to this forum, just found it tonite while browsing for more information on TOS....
LONG story short, I've had pain in my neck and behind my right shoulder blade since my daughter was 4 months. I've been to 12 different doctors during 11 years, including places such as the Mayo Clinic, I've done physical therapy, have had lidocaine injections, MRI's, x-rays, you name it.
I finally gave up about 5 years ago, and just live with the pain. It is chronic, never goes away, makes me very tired and sometimes irritable (which is so not my person).
I happened upon TOS on the internet a couple of weeks ago. My right hand (same side as my neck and upper shoulder pain) has started getting cold. As a matter of fact, as I am now typing, its cold as ice. About 5 years ago, my right forearm started to become weak, and it seemed as though my fine motor skills were becoming affected. Sometimes when I'm writing I have a hard time ....very hard to explain, almost like a cramp, and my hand cant do what my brain is telling it to (right hand as well). Went to the doctor 5 years ago (I'd already been going for shoulder pain for 6 years at this point) and they found nothing.
But, as I'm researching reasons for my right hand becoming cold, I found TOS. Sounds exactly like all of these problems I've been having all these years. I didnt call the doctor because Ive recently switched insurances, and the insurance company told me they'd cover nothing to do with my prior backpain until after a year, as its considered pre-exsisting even though I was never diagnosed with anything....
HOWEVER, I had an appt with a local plastic surgeon today, completely unrelated to my neck, shoulder pain. He began to read my chart and saw that I have this numbness and tingling in my right arm, and we began to discuss this. Within 3 minutes, he told me it sounds like I have TOS (which I never mentioned to him I was just recently reading about) and he'd like to see me back. I guess he does surgeries related to this complication. He asked me if I have a cervical rib, which I've been told that I do. He said this tends to complicate this sort of thing.
SO, this was just today.....I'm happy and scared at the same time. I cant imagine waking up feeling less pain (or none at all-is that possible) so I really hope to find some relief.
Curious if my symptoms sound anything like what other people experience?? I'd love to hear other peoples stories!!!!!!!
peaswink is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (05-14-2010)