View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 12:54 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Zero Sum Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Conclusion: People with advanced PD are not feeling ok socially, beacuse they cannot read the surroundings different reactions. Amazing knowledge. The action shall be, we PWP have to learn how to interpretate faces and different expressions. And I thought it was the other way round.
I do not believe that teaching me about interpretation of different facial expressions will increase my social ability, when my feet are going through the floor and my body is twisting like Tina Turner.
I do not understand what kind of thirst for knowledge this represents. We know something about the brain of other groups who cannot communicate. People with autism do not have so called mirror neurons, important structures and necessary in reading other people. People with autism do not know what the world expects from them. What about our mirror neurons? Does this study mention anything about any anatomical structures except something vague about PD not restricted to the commandotower of our movements. What about our mirror neurons? Do they go down the drain with most of our substantia nigra?
With respect we do not have time or money for information like this.
Science must concentrate on basic information on how the brain works. No room for fairytales or strange hypothesis, but decent hard work. People out there are suffering.
Aleks
Aleks,

May i ask by PLM do you mean Public Library of Medicine?

You make so many good points about this dubious line of research on the typical "Parkinsonian Personality". In the first place, this disease already strips away so much from us; I find it deeply insulting that someone could even conceive of further reducing us down to a set of cardinal behaviors or psychosocial deficits. While not their intent to offend, really this whole line of research is dehumanizing, pointless, and devoid of anything substantive or useful. I may reconsider if it can be parlayed into something remotely useful, like say, improving our quality of life. Ironically, I think their goal is to somehow help, but it really just serves to further alienate us by giving us yet another way to note how we are "different". It is a zero sum game they play with us, always reduced - we are never more than the sum or our parts. Herein lies the heart of our problem; Western medicine is reductive; research further pulls us apart, but just who is putting us all back together?

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lindylanka (05-12-2010)