View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 07:57 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conductor71 View Post
Aleks,

May i ask by PLM do you mean Public Library of Medicine?

You make so many good points about this dubious line of research on the typical "Parkinsonian Personality". In the first place, this disease already strips away so much from us; I find it deeply insulting that someone could even conceive of further reducing us down to a set of cardinal behaviors or psychosocial deficits. While not their intent to offend, really this whole line of research is dehumanizing, pointless, and devoid of anything substantive or useful. I may reconsider if it can be parlayed into something remotely useful, like say, improving our quality of life. Ironically, I think their goal is to somehow help, but it really just serves to further alienate us by giving us yet another way to note how we are "different". It is a zero sum game they play with us, always reduced - we are never more than the sum or our parts. Herein lies the heart of our problem; Western medicine is reductive; research further pulls us apart, but just who is putting us all back together?

Laura
Hi all, thank you for your interest.
Laura, PLM is a website for various diseases, including PD. PLM stands for Patients Like Me.
Laura, you are absolutely right about western medicine becoming more reductive. Reductionism starts in medical school . Increasing specialization reduces a patient to a car with hopefully only one and one very distinct defect. Even a mechanic knows that a car is not just one part but a whole. Holistic medicine is forgotten or maybe just too time demanding, which is nonsense. A development from a holistic to a reductionistic attitude makes the whole area of medicine poor.
Aleks
Aleks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote