View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 09:27 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks, Jana, for the thoughts and prayers!

I have been thinking for a long time about gratitude, and its proper place in life. I get some mileage out of "it could be a lot worse!"--actually, a lot of mileage. For instance, I am grateful for having a disease that lets me (I hope) keep control over my mind and my bladder. I am very grateful for having a disease that so far, at least, spares me from chronic pain. I am grateful that my mg, if that's what I have, isn't anywhere as bad as a lot of people's.

On the other hand, I sort of think that this train of thought is one that should be selectively boarded. There are times when I need to acknowledge that suffering is suffering. After all, it could always be worse. If I had some cancer that was going to kill me in six months, I'd be better off than someone who had a cancer that was going to kill him tomorrow. But in a case like that case, the "It could always be worse" train isn't going to take me very far.

Just thinking out loud here--trying, as always, to find some sort of balance. Trying to be realistic in acknowledging the bad things, without giving them more power over me than they already have. And then sometimes I need a break from _that_ train of thought--the constant battle to find balance all the time--so it's time to go watch a stupid movie or something.

Thanks again, Jana.

Abby
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote