Thread: The Long Road
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 04:50 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Unhappy The Long Road

Hello. I was in a car accident over a year ago. A month later I was diagnosed with PCS. I was told that symptoms clear up with in 6 months to a year. I ignorantly looked toward both the 6 month mark and the one year mark with the big hope of "well, this must be it."

My GP sent me to a neurologist after things not getting better after four months in. The neurologist put me on amytriptyline. Things got better after many weeks and I would say I had about two months of almost feeling like myself again. Then in December I slid backward. She upped my dose from 100mg to 150mg. It took me twice the time to balance on them, and just as I started to feel hope in feeling better again, I've slid farther than before.

My neurologist doesn't listen to me. The last time I saw her, a months ago, was for ten minutes. I told her about my balancing trouble and the severe depression I was experiencing. She said she was so glad I was feeling better and she didnt need to see me for another four months.

I walked out determined to find someone new to help me. Since then, I have stilled gotten worse with the amytriptyline. I want to get off it. I have not found someone else to go to. And now, my neurologist won't return my phone calls or make an appointment with me because of the medical debt I have not been able to get out from under.

I am uninsured, unhealthy and really really unhappy. Finding this forum today has been amazing. I wish I had found it a year ago. I have started to read the related posts, but I can only push myself to read so many before I just can't. . . well you all probably know about that.

I have four specific questions I would like to ask, then I'll resume filtering through all of the information already posted.

1) Is is smart to stay on the amytriptyline? or should I ween off like I very much would like to do?

2) I was a runner prior to my accident. I have missed it and started to get back into it slowly over the past few weeks. My back to fitness coach and physical therapist were both supportive and helped me set up a plan. It has been difficult. Am I only hurting my progress with such physically demanding exercise?

3) I sense of taste, and my food preferences changed dramatically. And almost instantly. Couldn't eat anything rich or sweet for a very long time. This has gotten better. More than anything however, I crave salt. Has anyone else experienced something similar? I've been told that its not a symptom of PCS, but cant imagine it being anything else.

4) I have discovered certain foods seem to have a beneficial effect on me. Red Grapes, Strawberries, Almonds, Red Bell Peppers, Lime, Powerade. And again anything with a high concentration of sodium, like Velveeta. Has anyone else discovered similar responses to food? Any food advice out there?

Sorry so long, but I am so excited to have the opportunity to talk to other people who are experiencing or have experienced what I am going through.

Oh! and Mark in Idaho? That TBI survival guide is beyond fabulous.
oneid1hrn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote