View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 05:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Thank you for your replies

Thank you all for your replies. It’s a comfort to know I am not alone in this, and I am also very sorry that others experience these symptoms.

I want to say thank you to Lit Love and Finz for posting the helpful CRPS links. I very much appreciate the help and effort.

For those who are looking for ways to handle the sweats and chills. Like others here, I have been dealing with them almost daily for about 10 years and have come up with a few ways to make it less horrible. It is definitely true that if you can try to stay dry the chills are less severe, not gone, but less severe.

I sleep naked wrapped in large bath towels. That is a layer on the bed, a layer under my head, and a double layer used as blankets. I do this because trying to sleep in clothes or sheets was impossible since they would always be completely soaked. The towels help absorb the sweat until they eventually get saturated.

I keep a terry cloth bathrobe near me at all times. When the sweats and chills hit, I get out of whatever I am wearing and put on the bathrobe. When the bathrobe gets saturated I flip it inside out. If the sweats are not too severe I can saturate one side while the other side is airing out, and I just keep flipping it over and over.

When I want to wear clothes, sweat pants and a sweatshirt are the best choice. They saturate faster than a terrycloth bathrobe but a lot slower than other clothing. I keep 3 or 4 sets handy, so when I saturate one, I change to the next, and I just keep rotating them over and over. This way when I sweat through pair 4, pair 1 is aired out and dry.

When I have to leave the shelter of my home (usually to see a doctor), I always bring a bag with extra clothes in it, especially extra shirts and socks. This way I can change when my clothes get saturated. If I know I will be out a while I will bring several changes of clothes, and I will often sweat through them all.

I will sometimes take an immediate release Opioid when the sweats and chills are very bad. It’s not my first choice since I try to stay within my Opioid limits, but they are available if I am going out of my mind with the sweats and chills and elevated pain.

There is one last thing that I have found very helpful, though it may sound strange, and that is exercise. When I am well enough, and the pain is not out of control, I exercise by walking on a treadmill. I have found over time, that if I am able to walk on the treadmill 2 or 3 times in a week, my overall sweats and chills are not as bad. When I am actually on the treadmill it invariably sets off a severe sweats and chills episode, and I have to change clothes while I am exercising or the chills pain is too severe to continue. But during the rest of the week my overall sweats and chills are reduced. I know it may sound strange but it’s the truth.

I hope this may have been helpful to some of you. God Bless You All.
Bernclay-
bernclay2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote