View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

With Section 8 there are times when cities within the same county have substantially different waiting periods. City A has a two year waiting period, City B has openings. Or dozens of other complexities that I've heard about in passing, but which I'm no expert on, which is why I so appreciate the advice of those that are.

Just because it is difficult for many to be approved for SSI/SSDI, should everyone dismiss the program? I'm thinking that would be a no. Section 8 is not going to be a quick fix for everyone, or maybe anyone, but it is an important resource for many that are disabled.

Someone I knew, who was a PITA, jumped the 1-2 year waiting line for Section 8 housing in a city near me. She was already in a local housing program for single mothers, so she was not in a homeless situation. Her new home was in a very safe area of town and was very nice.

There are always ways to get the seemingly impossible done.

A call to your local United Way is a good idea, since they will often be familiar with local housing programs. In my area there are several, all with there own requirements.

Also, consider the possibilty of moving. Maybe the next city over, maybe the next county, half way across the state, to a different state, or across the country. Only you can make the decision, weigh your options. Just realize, there are resources available in different locations that might work for you.

Last edited by LIT LOVE; 05-13-2010 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Error, I wrote the Red Cross instead of the United Way, whoops!
LIT LOVE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote