Old 05-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member
Default Longer Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorsmomma View Post

After another surgery to release trigger thumb, many many stellate ganglion blocks, OT excercises, neurotin, cymbalta, amitriptyline, oxycodone, ketamine cream, tens unit and my glove, I sit here today with little relief! WHY?

Do we get better? Are we able to ever function without pain? Or do we try our best to tolerate the pain for what little time we can? I have all these procedures done and get a little relief for a few days, when does remission happen? Why am I going through all these shots if there is NO CURE? Why do people look at me like OH MY GOSH, you're not beter yet? How do I make people understand when I DON'T???
Did you undergo a stellate ganglion block at the time of your second surgery? Did the second surgery help, make you worse, or change nothing?

Those meds are a small list of the many combos out there. Each of which should only be introduced one at a time, after a reasonable trial period. There is no magic formula.

What does little relief mean? What is your current pain scale on a regular day with your current meds? What was it without any medication?

What glove?

The WHY question. This a complex neurlogical disorder that has no simple fix.
If you and your family haven't accepted that this is a life altering syndrome as severe and disabling as, let's say, cancer, than that is where you need to start.

Some go into remission. That is why we undergo stellate ganglion blocks. There is that hope always early on. It is also a diagnostic tool to confirm RSD. It gives you periods to recharge without pain, or at least less pain.

At some point you'll make a decision that the effort for a certain procedure, or side effects of a medication, isn't worth the relief you receive. We all have to figure out what helps by personal trial and error.

There is no surefire cure as of today.

You can certainly learn strategies to cope with RSD. I'd suggest starting with the Stickies.

Last edited by LIT LOVE; 05-12-2010 at 07:48 PM. Reason: OCD, lol
LIT LOVE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
gatorsmomma (05-12-2010), Kakimbo (05-12-2010), loretta (05-13-2010)