Old 05-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi Rrae,

It is best to wait to do the filling on that tooth because the last thing you want is to contaminate the surgical site with mercury during the removal of that old filling. I know you are anxious about the decay, but waiting a few weeks is not going to matter.

I hope the dentist is not replacing a mecury filling with another one! Mercury fillings (silver fillings) are very toxic. MOST dentists are not using that material anymore. There are tooth colored fillings that work very well and they even bond better with the tooth than the mercury ones do.

To answer your question about the flipper... yes, you could have a flipper made to hold that space open during the healing phase. It may not be absolutely necessary, but it is something that you should discuss with your dentist. Also...... once that area heals, your tongue will naturally become less curious ;-)

So if you can, wait to do the filling until the gum tissue closes over the extraction site....

Bryanna
What would I do without you!
WOW! The mercury issue! I will call this office and make sure they do NOT use the mercury! This office is pretty outdated ....no computer, and the dentist is on the brink of retiring I think.....
OH, and to clarify....there is no existing filling to remove. Tooth #19 was beyond repair, so had it removed. The neighboring tooth has decay and that's the one that needs filling.....it doesn't have any filling at this point.

So, ok.....you've (once again ) made things clearer.
That's why I questioned the '2nd opinion' dentist who said he could do it all in one visit..... because he would have pulled #19, put filling in the tooth next to that (which would go against your advice Re: waiting for gum to close over from #19). I don't see how he could have filled the other tooth with a fresh extraction site right next to it. PLUS put an implant in the fresh extraction site!
Sounded too good to be true.....and especially since I'm only 2 months out from getting a Spinal Cord Stimulator implanted......would have been too much too soon.
Fine wine takes time ......
Thank you for your very valuable input!
Rae
Rrae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote