View Single Post
Old 05-13-2010, 08:21 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Frown Hi New from the UK son with bipolar?

I have come here because bipolar in children is not recognised as a condition here so I have nowhere to turn.
My son is 9 years old and has a diagnosis of ADHD, Aspergers syndrome, seperation anxiety disorder and oppositional defiance disorder, he was diagnosed when he was 5. He sees a pshyc and is on Ablify for his anxiety and melatonin to help him sleep.
I had a cousin with BP who threw himself in front of a train 3 years ago, but no other relative has BP. I think I know he has BP but no one will admit it. He has very bad angry outbursts where he hits anyone he feels has crossed him, often there is no reason that we can identify for it. I have to put myself between him and my 15 year old daughter. He screams abuse in my face, punches and kicks me until I have to restain him. This is becoming harder as he gets stronger. A few days ago he had a fight with his friend and he beat him with a stick around his head.
He has self harmed from a baby. Before he could walk he would bang his head on the floor and now he punhces his head or bangs it on walls, glass doors or whatever he is near. He says he wants to die at least once a week and pleads with us to give him a knife so he can die. He says he doesn't deserve to live.
But he is the sweetest boy you could meet at other times. He hugs me, constantly tells me he loves me and tells his sister she is the most beatiful girl in the world. He loves animals and would never hurt anything, he gets upset if he hurts even an ant. He hates to go out of the house so has to be home schooled. He still wears diapers (I think you call them) at night and has only used a toilet for 6 months in the daytime. He never wears trousers or underwear in the house as he gets hot. He eats very little and has to have special milkshakes to keep his weight at a good level. When he does eat it's all carbs, pasta, rice or bread.
I love my son so much but I worry he will either kill himself or hurt someone and end up in jail. I so want to help him but no one will even admit he has BP.

I hope I can come here and get some understanding and suport from you all. Thank you for taking time to read this.