View Single Post
Old 05-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
When our laptop died, so did the stuff that came with it. If you didn't have system rescue discs, and/or they were not installed when you had your fixes, then the decoder is gone. (when you buy a computer there are things like decoders already installed on them as part of the package). Sounds like your computer fix gave you a bare bones unit back.

We downloaded one from the net. It was free. (our son's advice)
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

This works INSTEAD of Windows Media Player. It works fine.

Hubby says you have to right click on "play with" command that comes up when you put the DVD in and CHOOSE VLC or set it as your default.

Aha!!! I just went to the site, and decided to download the first option. Something about videolan.

So it gave me a message saying "you already have Videolan something or other on your computer (now last night, when I tried to play my dvd, it got like 6 options to choose from to play the dvd. When I had no luck with the real player or the Media center thingee, I clicked on the option that said Videolan (so yeah, it DID give me that option). but I couldn't play the dvd.

So fast forward right now, and when I was prompted "do you want to overwrite the videolan software and install this NEW thing, I simply said "yes", and clicked on Uninstall, and then it did it's thing and then it INSTALLED this videolan thing.

I am now going to attempt to play my Avatar dvd.

let's see what happens.

be right back.

And THANKS MUCH, IF THIS THING WORKS.

lol

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote