View Single Post
Old 05-15-2010, 07:39 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Drunks vs. parkies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindylanka View Post
Glad I am not the only one who feels like this - being treated as though you are drunk is not great either - the bus that I use to get home when I have been shopping is right by a pub, and I get lot's of negative stuff, and I rarely drink. But I sure can recognise the real drunks!

Lindy
Hi Lindy,

Although I benefit from your posts almost daily, the language around alcoholism in this one (as well as others' posts on the subject) troubles me.

In advocating for respectful, informed treatment for one community of people who share a common disability (PWP), must we demean another (people living with alcohol addiction) by referring to them as "the real drunks?"

No matter one's disability, s/he deserves to be treated with respect. Police officers and emergency workers do (or should) received training in this, as well as in the causes, behaviors and positive intervention strategies regarding Parkinson's, alcoholism and other behavior-affecting conditions.

Meanwhile, language matters.

Although I am not suggesting this was your intent, let's not create/reinforce a hierarchy of disability in which we marginalize other communities in an attempt to help our own. And let's remember that some readers of this PD forum may also be (or care for) a person with alcoholism.

While we are at it, shall we update "real drunks" to "people living with alcoholism" or some less shame-inducing term?

Not completely PC,
(Irish) Rose
rose of his heart is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote