Thread: The Long Road
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2010, 06:10 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi and welcome to NT!

I got my PCS in a car accident three years ago, so I know the frustration you feel when you don't get better when you're "supposed" to. Doctors even seem to blame you for this and treat you like a malingerer. Sadly, doctors are not well versed in concussion and bad experiences with neurologists seem to be the norm.

I'm not too well today, so I'm just going to address one of your concerns: exercise. I was a super jock before my accident and changing my routine wasn't easy - but it was critical.

Running is not generally a good activity for folks with PCS. Each time your foot hits the ground, the impact travels through your body and gives your brain a little shake. (Your brain probably can't take even the smallest shakes, right now.) There are special shoes that can help absorb the impact, but I still think you'd might be better to take up swimming or yoga or something else that isn't jarring.

Additionally, you might want to be careful about increasing your heart rate as this can trigger headache in some PCS folks. I worked with a trainer to develop a routine that was PCS friendly. I do find that exercise helps me deal with my other new PCS problem, depression.

If you're not seeing a good therapist for depression, you should consider it. PCS can be life-altering and it's not something most folks can adjust to without help.

Cheers
Hockey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (05-16-2010), Brain patch (04-11-2013)