View Single Post
Old 05-16-2010, 01:47 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Similar story

I feel for you, Mike. I am in a similar situation as I have always been a pretty healthy, active male but I still developed these neuropathic sensations when I was 20 (I'm 23 now). My symptoms came on after I had a full body rash for 3 months, I just never returned to normal. All my blood work has been normal so far. The doctors haven't been able to find anything out of the ordinary.

I just had an emg/nc test with my neurologist which came back negative, so the next step is a skin biopsy to test for small fiber sensory neuropathy.

I have been on gabapentin for the past year or so, which helped at the beginning but doesn't really seem to do anything anymore. So I'm going back to my doctor in the next week to see if I can get on a painkiller because the pain can definitely be overwhelming at times.

I share the exact same characteristics as you (was a very hard worker and excited about the future until the symptoms hit) then I fell in to a pit of depression and started questioning everything. What's the point of anything if all you can think about is these stupid symptoms? But instead of continuing to think like that I really had to change my point of view on life. I used to be really into computers and wanted to work a desk job for the rest of my life, but sitting in one place for extended periods of time really makes my symptoms flare so I've decided to work outside where I can be in the sun and moving around.

And I don't know how close you are with your family but mine has been very supportive of me during these tough times, which has been a huge factor in me staying positive.

My best advice is to not give up and do what makes you feel good, be it lifting or whatever. I've found that being in the sun, exercise, constantly moving around really helps my condition. I'm really considering moving south to see if a climate change helps at all. Hope I could be of some help!

Oh, and the weed thing. I've found that I can't even do it anymore because it makes my symptoms go crazy. Last time I did it (sometime last week) I felt like I was on fire! I had to take a Vicodin to quell the pain. So I would suggest to stay away from it as much as you can.

Keep your head up. We all go through **** in life. We can't choose the cards we're dealt. What we can do is choose how to play them. And the longer you play, the more you learn. Keep at it and you'll perfect your game.

If you ever want or need anything I'll be here. It's always nice to talk to someone who is going through a similar experience. Later dude. Take care of yourself.
bnemecek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote