View Single Post
Old 05-16-2010, 05:38 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Boundaries of what docs can do

I'm posting this as a separate thread because it seems like lately there have been several posts concerning docs not doing this or that because it's not standard operating procedure, blah, blah, blah. I'm with everyone and we also have had our neuro flat out refuse MANY of our requests, we have even been laughed at, and thereafter learned to preface our request with "we know this probably was not covered in medical school, but...."

Here is my info. We currently consult over the phone with a doctor in another state who prescribes our LDN. We have never met him, but he has our entire medical history and we have lengthy conversations about various options. We will fax him oftentimes voluminous studies and papers which he will read and then we will discuss.

During one of our conversations, we happened to ask him what all he could and could not do, because obviously there is a line. My understanding of his response was that as long as you and your doctor are working toward a treatment goal, he can pretty much do anything he wants to as long as it is in furtherance of that goal. It has to be legal, of course, so no illicit drugs or things like that, but in my mind, I was like, wow, what a LOT of leeway that gives the doctor!

We have discussed methylene blue (we could not get the dose figured out so gave up on it, but he was willing to at least discuss it with us), LDN, dynacirc (which we currently take), and I can't remember what all else. My point is that I think most docs CAN discuss and even go with you down that alternative option journey, but don't want to because (1) it would mean they would have to educate themselves and unfortunately, well, that doesn't seem to go over too well (there being exceptions, of course, hope your doc is one of them!) and (2) fear of liability from being sued by you or your family if something goes wrong and/or (3) fear of being kicked off the insurance/medicare gravy-train. I mean, there's just no medicare or insurance billing code for some of the stuff we talk about on this forum! The doc wouldnt' even know how to charge for it, which to many docs, is the most important part of being a doc!

It is hard to find a doc like this who isn't selling tons of supplements in their office and rather pushy about them, we have seen one of those too. He got us on the IV glutathione program for awhile until we bailed, it was horribly expensive and we got no benefit (others have, I know, and good for them, it just didn't work for us). But I know they are out there, and I hope you can find one.
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
jeanb (05-19-2010)